Shettleston Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)
     

There is a long history of witness to the Reformed Faith in this part of the West of Scotland east of Glasgow. The covenanting movement had many supporters in the district, and after 1690 a Cameronian congregation was organized with its western end at 'Sandhills near Glasgow'. This body used a meeting-house in Sandyhills Road until 1819. The Rev John McMillan, organizer of the Cameronians is buried in the old parish churchyard. The Rev John Thomson was parish minister of Shettleston, and resigned from the establishment at the Disruption of 1843. After worshipping in a barn and a temporary building, the congregation built a new Free Church at Sandyhills in 1850. The Carntyne Mission became in 1890 the second Free Church charge in Shettleston. In 1900, both ministers joined the Union, together with most of the people. A remnant from Carntyne persisted in loyalty to the Free Church, and built the present building in 1909.

shettleston@fccontinuing.org


Home

Sabbath Worship

Church located at 97 Wellshot Road, Glasgow, G32 7BL, at corner of Culrain Street.
11.00am and 6.30pm

Prayer Meetings

Wednesday 7.30pm.

Communions

2nd Sabbath in May and 3rd Sabbath in November

Other Information

Minister

Interim Moderator

The congregation is currently vacant

Rev Brian Baxter

Session Clerk &
Congregational Treasurer

Mr Ewan W Wilson,
11 Carmyle Avenue,
Foxley, Glasgow, G32 8HL.
Tel: 0141 573 3462

Clerk to Deacons Court

to be appointed

Sabbath School Superintendent Mr Alan M Wilson,
13 Sandyhills Place,
Glasgow, G32 9TS.
Tel: 0141 573 2253.