Knock & Point Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)
     

The Knock congregation began with the Parliamentary Church built at Knock in 1829, with the charge being declared quoad sacra in 1833. After the Disruption the centre of worship of the newly-formed Free Church congregation was established at Garrabost, but the congregation retained the name of 'Knock' Free Church.

The present church building was completed in 1886, and the congregation worshipped there until deprived of the building in 1900 after the Union Controversy. The congregation built another church in 1902, made up mostly of corrugated iron, and called by the locals 'The Iron Church'. The original stone church had fallen into disrepair when it was returned to the congregation and as a result the congregation continued to worship in the Iron Church until 1924, when it was decided that rather than repair the Iron Church, the stone church would be restored. Worship has been held there ever since.

The Point congregation was disjoined from Knock and established as a separate charge in 1963. The first minister, the Rev John MacSween, was inducted in 1966.

The ministers of both the Knock and Point congregations in 2000 did not associate themselves with the Reconstitution.

At the October 2000 Commission of Assembly the congregations of Knock and Point were consolidated into a single charge.

knock@fccontinuing.org

Home

Sabbath Worship

Knock Community Hall - 12.00noon and 6.00pm

Prayer Meetings

Thursday 7.30pm

Communions

Last sabbath in August

Other Information

Special Evangelistic Services are held annually. Contact the minister for details

Minister

Interim Moderator

The congregation is currently vacant

Rev Kenneth Smith DipTh,
20C Upper Bayble,
Point, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0QG.
Tel: 01851 870060
Email: kenneth@kintyre20c.freeserve.co.uk

Session Clerk

Mr Angus MacLeod,
12 Upper Garrabost,
Point, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0PN.
Tel: 01851 870624

Clerk to the Deacons Court

Mr William MacLeod,
20 Sheshader,
Point, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0EW.
Tel: 01851 870662

Congregational Treasurer Mr Donald Buchanan,
27 Upper Bayble,
Point, Isle of Lewis, HS2 0QH.
Tel: 01851 870426
.